Chronology Military Affairs City fortifications Home
Events in Tallinn
In 1700, the Great Northern War began. From October 26 to November 5, 1700, King Charles XII of Sweden visited Toompea and Reval for the first and last time. 1700
 
 
1703 In 1703, Peter the Great began the construction of the new capital of Russia – Saint Petersburg.
On August 11, 1710, the plague broke out in the city killing altogether 3500 of the 4000 defenders. 1710
 
In late August 1710, the Russian army began the besiegement of the town with 20 000 men. 1710
 
On September 29, 1710 in Harku Manor, the plague-torn Reval, Estonian Knighthood and the Swedish garrison signed the agreement of capitulation to the Russian forces. 1710
 
On March 13, 1712, Emperor Peter the Great confirmed the privileges of Reval granting the town Lutheran faith and German as the administrative language. 1712
 
1712 In 1712, Saint Petersburg became the capital of Russia.
 
On October 12, 1713, the construction of the military port was begun in Reval. 1713
 
On July 22, 1718, the construction of the Kadriorg Palace and park was begun on the order of Emperor Peter the Great. 1718
 
On May 29, 1719, the Governorate of Estonia led by Governor-General was established. Reval became the capital of the Governorate. 1719
 
In 1734 Reval was relieved of the obligation to build further fortifications, however, the city was still responsible for the maintenance of the existing town walls and ramparts. 1734
 
In 1739, the Judicial Committee of the Matters of Livonia and Estonia located in Saint Petersburg was named the highest judicial body over the decisions by the local town courts. 1739
 
In 1739, the first Bible in Estonian was printed in Reval. 1739
 
1739 In 1739, the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences was established in Stockholm.
 
 
1748 In 1748, the construction of the Sveaborg sea fortress was begun on the rocky islands in the coastal waters of Helsinki.
 
1754 In 1754, the new royal palace of the Swedish monarch was completed in Stockholm after the design by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger.
In 1758, with the annual fee of 1316 roubles Reval bought itself out of the town wall and rampart maintenance agreement. 1758
 
 
1762 In 1762, the Winter Palace was completed in Saint Petersburg with Empress Catherine the Great as its first resident.
In June 1764 Empress Catherine II of Russia stayed in the Kadriorg Palace. 1764
 
1764 In the summer of 1764, on her tour in the Governorate of Livonia Empress Catherine the Great stayed in Tartu.
 
In 1767–73, Toompea Castle (architect Joh. Schultz) was reconstructed as the office and residence of the Governor of Estonia. 1767
 
In 1770s several Freemasons’ Lodges were established in Reval, including “Isis” (1773–92, 1811–20) and “Three War Hammers” (1778–87, 1816–20). 1770
 
In 1772, in addition to noblemen, clerks and military officers there were altogether 6954 citizens in Reval. 1772
 
Since 1774 it was no longer permitted to bury the dead in the churchyards. Thus new cemeteries were established in Kopli (St Olaf and St Nicholas cemeteries) and Mõigu (Dome Church cemetery). The given graveyards were destroyed during the Soviet regime in 1951. 1774
 
 
1782 In 1782, the Royal Opera House was completed in Stockholm.
 
1784 In 1785, one of the first shopping centres in the world – Gostinyi Dvor – is opened on the Nevsky Prospekt in Saint Petersburg.
 
1784 In 1784, the Stone Bridge (Kivisild) in Tartu is completed as a gift from Catherine the Great.
In June 1787, the annual St John’s Day fair tradition was begun in Reval. 1787
 
On May 2, 1790, the battle between the Russian and Swedish fleets at the Reval roadstead was lost by the Swedes. 1790
 
On December 29, 1796, the Town Council of Reval was restored. 1796
 
In 1799, a Roman Catholic congregation was established in Reval. The refectory of the former Dominican convent was given to the congregation to be used as the church. 1799