Chronology Military Affairs City fortifications Home
Events in Tallinn
On March 28, 1800, the city doctor of Reval Karl Johann Nyberg performed the first vaccination against smallpox. 1800
 
On May 9-11, 1804, Reval was visited by Emperor Alexander I of Russia. During the visit he gave an order to restore the building owned by Peter the Great which had now deteriorated to bare stone walls. 1804
 
In 1814, the Governor-General demanded that all the shops, staircases and porches in front of the buildings on Town Hall Square and the nearby streets be demolished. 1814
 
On June 15-16, 1820, St Olaf Church was thoroughly destroyed by fire. 1820
 
1820 On January 6, 1820, the Peasants’ Act of Livonia from 1819 was ceremoniously declared in Riga.
 
 
1824 In November 1824, there was a great flood in Saint Petersburg.
In 1825, the General Public Library of Estonia was established in Reval. 1825
 
1825 In December 1825, the Decembrist revolt took place in Saint Petersburg.
 
 
1828 In 1828, the first glass factory was established in Riga.
In 1830s, Fat Margaret cannon tower came to be used as a prison. 1830
 
 
1838 On January 18, 1838, The Learned Estonian Society was founded in Tartu.
On June 16, 1840, St Olaf Church was consecrated after reconstruction works. 1840
 
In 1842, Estonian Literary Society (Estländische Literärische Gesellschaft) was founded, which in 1864 established the Provincial Museum introducing local history and culture. 1842
 
In 1844, daguerreotype was introduced in Reval. 1844
 
From May 9 to October 7, 1854, the English fleet blockaded Reval during the Crimean War. 1854
 
1854 In 1854, the sea militia or a gunboat battalion of paid volunteers in defence of the Port of Riga. Almost 400 Estonians also joined the battalion.
 
In 1856, the first Estonian newspaper “Maa Valla Kuulutaja” (Estonian Herald) was issued in Reval. 1856
 
 
1860 In 1860, the church of the Estonian St John (Jaani) congregation was completed in Saint Petersburg after Harald Julius Bosse’s design.
In 1862–67, St John (Jaani) Church was built for the Estonians of Reval. 1862
 
In 1862–70, Kaarli Church was built for the Estonians of Toompea. 1862
 
On May 5, 1867, Lake Ülemiste broke through the dams and sand heaps in a storm flooding the town at various locations. 1867
 
On October 24, 1870, the Paldiski-Reval-St Petersburg railway was opened and the first Balti Railway Station (Balti Jaam) building constructed. 1870
 
1870 On March 26, 1870, the student event of reading the national epic “Kalevipoeg” led to the foundation of the Estonian Students Society (Eesti Üliõpilaste Selts).
 
 
1872 In 1872 the Society of Estonian Literati promoting and gathering Estonian language and folklore was founded in Tartu.
On March 26, 1877, the Town Act passed in Russia in 1870 came into force in the Governorate of Estonia joining the two towns – Toompea and Reval – under the common name of Reval. 1877
 
In 1883, the City Archive was founded in Reval. 1883
 
 
1885 In 1885, on the order of Empereor Alexander III the mayors of Riga and Tallinn were dismissed for refusing to adopt Russian as the official administrative language.
On November 17, 1889, the Town Council of Reval held its last session. 1889
 
In 1896, the first film performance took place in Reval. 1896