Chronology Military Affairs City fortifications Home
Events in Tallinn
The last sacred building in the Gothic style was constructed in Reval in 1512–21: St Mary’s chapel on the southern side of St Olaf’s Church. 1512
 
In 1519–20, Reval was ravaged by the syphilis and all the saunas in the town came to be closed. 1519
 
 
1520 On November 7-10, 1520, series of events known as the Stockholm Bloodshed took place – after the invasion of Sweden King Christian II of Denmark had 90 members of the oppositional Sture party executed.
 
1522 In 1522 King Gustav Vasa of Sweden conquered Stockholm back from the Danes.
On September 14th, 1524 St Catherine’s Abbey, Holy Ghost Church and St Olaf’s Church were looted during the Reformation events. 1524
 
In January 1525, the Dominican St Catherine’s monastery was closed on the demand of the Town Council and the monks were forced to leave the city. 1525
 
In 1535 the catechism in Estonian and Low German by Tallinn clergymen Simon Wanradt and Johann Koell was printed. It is the earliest surviving publication in Estonian. 1535
 
 
1537 1537 marks the beginning of the gradual decline of Lübeck and the whole Hanseatic League.
In January 1558, the Livonian War broke out initiated by the Tsardom of Russia with the intent to conquer Livonia. 1558
 
On July 21st, 1558 the Russian military commander Shuisky made a capitulation proposal to Reval which the town rejected. 1558
 
In August 1558, Reval together with other Livonian towns made a futile attempt to find Danish allies against Russians. 1558
 
In August 1558, the representatives of Reval rejected the proposal by the Swedish representatives to submit to the King of Sweden. 1558
 
1558 On July 18, 1558 during the Livonian War, the town of Tartu surrendered to the Russian troops, however, retaining its privileges.
 
On January 27, 1561, on the initiative of the last Master of the Order of Livonia G. Kettler, 160 Polish soldiers were stationed in the Toompea Castle. The Master of the Order hoped to find an ally in the King of Poland against the Russians. 1561
 
On June 6, 1561, Reval pledged allegiance to King Erik XIV of Sweden. 1561
 
On June 23, 1561, after a fierce battle, also the Toompea Castle surrendered to the Swedes. 1561
 
On July 4, 1564 King Erik XIV gave an order to use the seal of Reval – three lions – on the reverse of the coins minted here. This marks the origin of the large coat of arms of Reval. 1564
 
 
1565 On July 9, 1565, by the order of Ivan IV, citizens of Tartu of German origin are deported to Russia for up to five years.
From August 21, 1570 to March 16, 1571, the Russians besieged Reval for the first time, however, could not conquer the city. The latter date was declared a thanksgiving day in Reval to commemorate the regained freedom from Russians. 1570
 
 
1571 In October 1571, the Russians initiated a three-day bloodshed in Tartu followed by the deportation of the citizens to Russia.
On June 30, 1575, a Russian loot brigade invaded the convent of the Order of the Most Holy Saviour of St Bridget, killed some of the nuns and the peasant families hiding in the nunnery and took the rest with them. Only one nun was left in the convent. 1575
 
From January 22 to March 13, 1577, the Russian troops besieged Reval for the second time, but once again the town remained unconquered. 1577
 
 
1582 In 1582, the Polish Grand Hetman Jan Zamoyski conquered Tartu from Russia.
On August 10, 1583, the Livonian War was ended by the Treaty of Plussa. Tallinn and Northern Estonia remained under the Swedish rule. 1583
 
In 1584 Reval lost its right to appeal to Lübeck Town Council in matters of the local Town Council Court. They now had to turn to the Stockholm Court. 1584
 
1584 In 1584, King Stefan Batory of Poland with his privilege confirmed the red and white flag of the city of Tartu.