Chronology Military Affairs City fortifications Diseases and famine Home
Events in Tallinn
In 1602 the Polish troops led by Jan Zamoyski conquered most of the Estonian territory and reached Reval. 1602
 
 
1603 In summer 1603, weakened by diseases and scarcity of food the town of Tartu surrendered to Poland.
In August 1605 King Charles IX attempted to establish the supremacy of the Swedish legislation in Reval, which, however, did not ensue due to the opposition of the city. 1605
 
 
1613 In 1613 the construction of entrenchments and bastions in the Dutch style was begun in Lübeck, the fortifications were completed by 1634.
 
1621 In 1621 after a month of besiegement Riga surrendered to King Gustav Adolf of Sweden.
 
1624 On Midsummer Day 1624 the ruins of Tartu Dome Church catch fire from the Midsummer bonfire.
On the eve of June 29th, 1625 the spire of St Olaf Church was hit by lightning destroying the building together with nine neighbouring houses. The restored church was consecrated in 1628 and the spire was finished in 1651. 1625
 
In January 1626 King Gustav II Adolf arrived in Reval to present his reform project concerning taxation, the religious and educational situation, legal processes and administration of justice. The Town Council of Reval and the Estonian Knighthood regarded it as a restriction of their rights and expressed strong opposition to the reforms. The King threatened with military force. 1626
 
1626 On August 26th, 1626 the rule of Tartu went over from the Poles to Swedish troops.
 
In May 1630, ignoring the privileges of Reval, King Gustav II Adolf imposed new taxes on the city – the mill tax and the tax on foodstuffs imported into the city. 1630
 
1630 In 1630 the highest court authority, Livonian Highest Court, was opened on the initiative of Governor-General Johan Skytte.
 
In 1631, a school was established in St Michael’s convent building which had been left vacant after the death of the inhabitants. 1631
 
The building of St Michael convent on the city model in 1683 In 1631 the Town Council issued a new clothing regulation establishing strict restrictions based on the social status of the citizens. Thus, for instance velvet, gold chains and expensive furs were only allowed for merchants, whereas wealthier artisans could wear velvet and silk etc. Common workers had to wear the clothing of peasants. 1631
 
1631 In 1631 the first Estonian printing house was established in Tartu.
 
 
1632 On October 15th, 1632 the opening ceremony of Academia Gustaviana, the university with four faculties in Tartu.
 
1634 In 1634 Stockholm became the capital of Sweden.
 
1640 In 1640 the city centre of Helsinki was brought to its present location.
In 1641 the first Estonian ABC book was published in Reval. 1641
 
 
1642 In 1642, presumably the first Estonian student, Johannes Freyer from Tallinn, began his studies at the University of Tartu.
 
1645 In 1645, Visby was assigned to Sweden under the Treaty of Brömsebro.
In 1653 the bürgermeister Michael Paulsen established a silk weaving manufacture in his house at 9 Vene Street. It operated until 1664 followed by the establishment of a mint in the same building. 1653
 
 
1656 In October 1656, after 77 days of besiegement the town of Tartu surrendered to the Russian forces.
 
1657 In 1657 Tsar Aleksei ratified extensive privileges for Tartu, however, the citizens were not allowed to leave his territories.
 
1660 In 1660 the number of inhabitants in Stockholm approached 60 000.
In 1664 the first paper mill was established in Reval operating until 1710. 1664
 
On January 27th, 1672 the rights of the guilds were extended in order to supervise the Town Council. 1672
 
On October 16th, 1675 the King issued the order for joining the small guilds. The guilds opposed to the edict followed by various disputes and conflicts. The guilds were joined in 1699. 1675
 
On June 6th, 1684 the town of Toompea and its cathedral (Dome Church) were destroyed by fire. The cathedral was restored by the end of 1686. 1684
 
In 1687 King Charles XI appointed the bürgermeister of justice as the head of the Town Council directly liable to the King. 1687
 
 
1697 In 1697 the 400-year old royal residence, The Three Crowns (Tre Kronor), was destroyed by fire in Stockholm.
 
1699 In November 1699 the university was moved from Tartu to Pärnu for fear of the outbreak of the Great Northern War.
 
In 1669 the last Hanseatic Days took place in Lübeck.